Do you remember being a kid in school and answering this question:
What do you want to be when you grow up?
When asked that question, most of us immediately think in terms of the job we will do. Fireman, policeman, doctor, lawyer, astronaut, nurse, etc.
The question itself is flawed. It causes us to think of the wrong things. It puts way too much emphasis on what we want to get paid for instead of what we want to live for.
A better question would be,
Who do you want to be when you grow up?
What do you want your life to look like? Single? Married? Kids? Lifestyle? Travel? Leisure time?
- Define your life goals
- Form your career to support that life
- When in doubt, go back to step one
With that fresh perspective in mind, take a moment to ponder these questions for yourself:
- Who do you want to be?
- What is the life that you want to live?
- If money were no object, what would you choose to be doing with your life right now?
- What do you need to do to make that a reality?